Pages

January 12, 2008

Rethinking the school Lunch

I've been thinking about how horrible food is in school cafeterias since I was in middle school. I'd bring food from home and still be tempted to grab a tray full of chicken nuggets, french fries, one of those tiny cups of ice cream and maybe even a discounted soda all for less than $5. I used to wonder why instead of fries and a soda, fresh fruit and milk weren't a viable option. I would later learn that it's simply a cost issue; fruits and veggies are just more expensive than canned or commodity produce subsidized heavily by the gov't. But change is on the horizon.
  • Here's what a chef from Berkeley is doing to help.
  • Mayor Bloomberg's on a crusade to get whole milk out of New York schools.
  • Brian Klepper is promoting doctors to lead the charge on this issue before it gets out of hand.