Pages

October 24, 2012

My New Year's Resolutions

This is the best time to set New Year's resolutions, for a couple reasons. It takes time to start and there's a hump around 2 months to get through.

1. It takes time to set up logistics. 

For example, if you want to start a regular workout routine, you have to figure out what workout makes sense for you - kickboxing, weight-lifting, spinning, pilates, yoga, etc. You have to either find a gym or a workout DVD or a workout partner. You may have to get the right clothes, buy some weights, get a yoga mat, or whatever equipment you need for your specific workout.

All these logistics take a lot of energy and time to set up and can sometimes derail you from your resolution before you even get started. Get them out of the way now so you're ready to hit the ground running when the new year starts.

2. There's a hump to get over at 2 months.

A resolution is either a habit itself (like a workout routine) or it's a process of setting new habits to complete a specific goal (like writing a book). So how long does it take to form a habit? About 66 days, or between 2-3 months depending on if you count weekends. The first few weeks are fun since you're starting something new, but there are plenty of drop-off points and it can seem like an uphill battle, especially around day 40.

If you start your resolution on November 1st, with all the holidays counted in, day 40 will be very close to the start of the year. This is a time when everyone else is excited about starting and you can play off that excitement to get through this hump. By the end of January, your habit will be set and you'll be that much closer to meeting your resolution only a month after the year starts.

That being said, my new year's resolutions for 2013 are:
  1. Volunteer once a month
  2. Take an online spanish course
  3. Begin an at-home t'ai chi practice
Another thing to note about resolutions is specificity. I didn't say, "I want to volunteer, and learn spanish and t'ai chi." Knowing my schedule, I can handle volunteering once a month so I'll start there and add more days as it becomes part of my routine. Though the best way to learn a language is through an in-person immersion experience, it takes a lot of time and energy. I want to practice online first and perhaps take a trip to a Spanish-speaking area to refine what I've learned. Same goes with t'ai chi. I could take a class, but I know from personal experience that form-based exercise comes easier for me on my own first. I can correct my form once I have the fundamentals down.

I already have an account with New York Cares and my first volunteer project is on Halloween. I'm excited about it and the holidays are a great time to start volunteering. 

My research in t'ai chi got me curious about the Yang Long form. I wanted a very basic introduction that focused on increased flexibility so I chose BodyWisdom Media's: Tai Chi for Beginners. It goes through the 24 forms in eight separate lessons ranging from 10-30 minutes. A good start to my day. 

Lastly, I'm currently seeking affordable spanish courses that focus more on conversation than structure and grammar. I want to be able to speak colloquially by the summer and NYC offers plenty of opportunity to do so. If you have any suggestions on online courses, please comment or email me. 

Now it's your turn. How do you want to start the new year? What resolutions do you have in mind?