Pages

November 29, 2007

Continuous Life Learning

Looking back on my notes from last semester I found pages with the title "New Things To Learn". I used to write these look-up-later notes during classes or at seminars. Kind of like jotting down words you don't know when you're reading a book. Surprisingly I actually recalled the ideas or people or articles I had written down to look up more than 6 months ago. I guess this technique worked for me.

Managing time, improving recall, and continuously adding layers to our knowledge base has become harder in today's one-click-learn world. Anything we want to know is now available to us anywhere, anytime. But is it retained? Or recalled when you most need it? Developing the right habits is key, and it all starts with curiosity, the kind of desire to learn we felt when we were 5 and saw lightning for the first time. Being a life intellectual isn't easy, but its become a necessary skill set in order to be "in the know" nowadays. Ben Casnocha espouses and promotes this kind of learning and Ed Boyden provides a detailed methodology for applying it.

The question now is not if you have to be aware and keep up with modern technology and emerging trends, but rather how you're going to do so.