Pages

September 6, 2008

My Project Is To...

American Express has a wonderful ad out (see below) with various celebrities such as Robert DeNiro, Martin Scorsese, Jim Henson, Ellen DeGeneres and others boiling their life achievements down into one sentence. The sentence always starts with, "My project was to". For example, for Academy Award-winning director Martin Scorsese, the sentence is "My project was to...tell unforgettable stories".

While this is an after-the-fact statement, I bet each of these celebrities would've stated something siimilar even prior to their success. They had a very clear idea that encompassed and drove their personal philosophy, career goals and family values all in one.

This project statement can serve as a great personal tool for anyone; as a daily reminder of why you wake up in the morning, when in doubt of your ability, and when someone asks you, "what do you do?" Take a little time out to figure out what your goals are and narrow them down into one or two sentences, starting with "My project is to...". It can't hurt and I bet it'll make you think differently about what your life focus is.